5 Feb 2015

A small winter of dis/content



“A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.” 
― Carl Reiner (Actor in Ocean's Eleven)

Oh boy, was I happy when I opened the curtains on Tuesday morning to find that a blanket of snow had settled overnight.  Only a thin blanket, mind, so I knew it wouldn't last.



I love the stillness of fresh new snow but I'm not so keen once it's been trampled or the disruption it causes. Luckily I was working from home that day so I popped outside to take a few photos for the blog (as you do) before it all melted.



As Flighty has said in his snowy post, I was expecting to see animal footprints, particularly as I've seen several very bold (and obviously hungry) foxes around in the past week, but there was nothing except pristine clean snow. A few photos and numb fingers later, I headed for home.  It was then, as I retreated back to the warmth of my flat, that I slipped on an icy patch. As I grabbed hold of a rail to steady myself, the sudden movement ripped at a muscle at the top of my arm. Ouch!



Luckily my plants are made of sterner stuff - the broccoli, PSB, kale and even new shoots on the chive plants appear almost waterproof and shrugged off the effects of snow.




By midday the snow had melted away; two days later, the pain in my arm is also easing. I can only hope that's winter over and done with. 


“Winter is nature's way of saying, "Up yours.” 
― Robert Byrne (Author)

14 comments:

  1. Ouch! But glad to hear the pain is easing and hopefully it won't be long before you have fully recovered. Snow is cute but only for a short time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. we still haven't had any. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no I hope you recover soon. I haven't had a any snow here but it's a bit slippy in places sometimes when I take the hound out in the mornings. I like fresh snow the best too, I don't like being out there once it has frozen over. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch - poor you. I hope you're fully recovered now. The snow here froze and we discovered ourselves to be the proud owners of an ice rink. I was feeling rather proud of myself at lunchtime today as I cleared the paths of ice and then headed out to meetings without fear of falling. While I was away, it snowed and hailed and I have returned home this evening to find a fresh ice rink. Sometimes I think that hibernation is the only answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. I hope you recover soon. The plants remain look so tough. Such an interesting thing to see a blanket of snow, cause it's something an impossible thing happened in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch, I hope it heals soon. It's the sort of thing I do from time to time, I'm quite clumsy even without snow. We've hardly had a flake here though, I'm starting to feel quite left out, I've seen a dusting in Cornwall, and now you and Flighty have some in London. Where's mine?! I hope you have a good weekend Caro. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Owwwwww! :(

    I hope your arm heals quickly Caro. At least it's the time of the year when it's not so tempting to overwork it in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your injury. If it will make you feel any better, you can have some of our snow! :) Oh, actually, no you can't, because ours only stayed for a couple of hours too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, ouch! Take care Caro. You've had more snow than us. Love the pink and purple poking through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how painful torn muscles are, I hope you are soon pain free. We had a sprinkling of snow a few days ago, it only stayed for about 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so easily done, I hope that you're on the mend. I like the pictures, and thanks for mention. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh....where ARE all the animals???
    What gorgeous pics, I must say I have been hoping for snow, all we've had is hail, wind and sleet! And it's freezing!
    Oh you poor thing, I do hope that muscle gets sorted soon....take it easy!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds most painful Caro and I hope that you soon heal. None here over the last few days but bitterly cold. Love the quotes :) Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your snow pictures are beautiful and look so wonderfully cool. Here in Adelaide it's boiling and my whole garden is frying. Tomorrow will be 41 degrees C. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...